Portland @ Wollaton Park
Portland comes to Nottingham!
We’ve expanded our specialist Further Education provision into Wollaton Park in Nottingham so even more people can benefit from the Portland experience. So, if you live in or near Nottingham, our easily accessible and tailored Wollaton Park programmes could be perfect for you!
You need to be aged 18 – 24 and have an EHCP to apply.
Land-based Industries Programme @ Wollaton Park
This programme is perfect if you want to improve your health and well-being by learning outdoors, while gaining lots of independence skills.
You will be based at the stunning Wollaton Park in our brand-new training centre where we will support the volunteers to restore the historic walled garden.
What will I be doing?
You will learn a wide range of practical skills including:
- Horticulture – how to plant, look after and harvest a range of produce.
- Vocational Skills – grounds maintenance and entry level trade skills.
Your programme will be tailored around the outcomes in your Education, Health and Care Plan. This means we might help you to focus on developing your personal skills, or you might choose to study a related qualification up to Level 2.
When will I be at College?
You will spend 3 days a week at college at our Wollaton Park site, a typical week could be:
- Day 1 – Tutorials covering Preparation for Adulthood Skills
- Day 2 – Improving your English and maths (if appropriate you could do GCSE or Functional Skills)
- Day 3 – Vocation Day – developing your practical skills in Horticulture, Grounds Maintenance and Trade Skills.
As part of your Study Programme you will have the option of doing work experience in your chosen area, which will help you learn new skills and gain confidence in a real work setting, so you can see what it’s like to work in your chosen industry.