How to keep in contact
Contacts on residential areas
From time to time, you may need to contact your son/ daughter whilst they are on their residence, or need to speak to their Care and Independence Manager (CIM). The numbers and relevant people to contact are as follows, and can be accessed by dialling 01623 499111 and then their extension number when prompted:
Rowan Place: Cheryl Shaw - contact number: 244
Clumber: Alison Taylor - contact number: 243
Elms: Margaret Waring - contact number: 252
Newstead: Carol Aram - contact number: 341
Rufford: Anne Marie Bromley - contact number: 324
Welbeck: Dave Hill - contact number: 243
Please note: after 6.00pm and at weekends, the College answering service will be in use. To contact a CIM simply call the main switchboard number 01623 499111 and select ‘0’ when prompted.
If you wish to speak with your son/ daughter’s tutor for any reason, please contact the Foundation Learning administration office on 01623 499117. They will put you through to the relevant tutor where possible, or arrange for them to give you a call back to answer your queries.
Skype is one of the most popular methods of communication for our learners to stay in touch with home and allows voice conversations ‘face-to-face’ via the use of webcams and microphones. Below are some basic details on how to get started and make a call to your son/ daughter:
1. Download Skype from the Skype website. (www.skype.com) Click on the link indicated to install the program.
2. Run the program you downloaded to begin the Skype installation program.
3. Follow the prompts as they appear on the installer to install Skype.
4. Connect your microphone to your computer. If your microphone is part of your headset, connect the headset instead.
5. Run Skype. This brings up the Skype configuration screen, which prompts you to enter your Skype username and password.
6. Enter your Skype username and password. If you do not have an account yet, you can click ‘New Account’ from the drop down menu and follow the prompts to create an account.
7. Press the ‘OK’ button to connect to the Skype network. This opens up Skype’s main menu.
Making a Call
1. Log in to your Skype account.
2. If you computer does not have an in-built microphone and speakers, plug in your headset.
3. Make sure that the person you wish to call is online. If they are there will be a green tick to the left of their name.
4. Click on the green telephone button to begin the call. You should hear ringing. If you don’t you should check that your speakers are switched on.
5. A new screen will appear which will say ‘Ringing’ at the top.
6. When your friend answers you will automatically hear their voice. If you do not, you may need to get them to check their microphone. If they are too quiet you can turn up the volume by clicking and dragging the volume ball in the bottom right hand corner of your screen.
7. You do not have to use the video in order to have a conversation. However, if you want your friend to be able to see you then click on the blue video button on the top left hand corner of your screen
8. A small shot of your video will then appear on your screen.
9. Their video, if they turn it on, will appear above yours. You can make it bigger by clicking the circular grey icon which appears in the top right hand corner of their video.
10. When you want to finish the call click the large red button on the top right hand corner of your screen.
For further information/ support, please visit www.skype.com where there is a full detailed help section.